"It would mean a lot to me if..."

Thursday, May 15, 2014

 
Our Savior has given each of us clear mandate to share His gospel. Whether or not you wear the official black name tag, the commandment is the same, "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen (Matthew 28:19-20)".

This has become a Prophetic priority. President Monson said, "Now is the time for members and missionaries to work together" (October 2013 General Conference). As the pace has quickened for declaring the gospel, Elder Bednar posed this question, "The Lord is hastening His work. Are we keeping up?"

Many of us members are having gospel conversations with our friends. And that is so awesome! It is now time for us to bridge the gap between us missionaries, you great members, and your should-be-but-aren't-members-yet friends.

Our mission president, Matt Riggs, has taught us how to help bridge this gap. We hope this post will take you from good gospel conversations to having your friends meeting missionaries in your home and feeling the power of this great work.

Pretend for a moment that you're talking with a good friend or co-worker of yours and a topic of the restored gospel comes up. Now before you panic and think "What do I do now?" Take a breath and say these words:

"..That's so interesting that you bring up (insert random gospel topic here... ie: living Prophets, the Book of Mormon, birth control, not drinking coffee, family night, modesty, the priesthood, women's rights, etc), because missionaries from my Church are coming over in a week and a half TO TEACH MY FAMILY about why (blank) is important. IT WOULD REALLY MEAN A LOT TO ME IF you came and listened while they taught us. What are you doing in about a week and a half?"

When you're done talking with your friend: call the missionaries. Make the appointment official. Some of you may be thinking, "Is this dishonest?" It is not dishonest. The missionaries WILL be there, and we WILL teach your family. (Ideally with your friend there, too.)

Put these simple and loving words in your mind. Let the Spirit bring them to your remembrance while you talk with those in your life. These words are for you. They will guide you in inviting others to hear the beautiful truths of the gospel from the full-time missionaries who are set apart to be master teachers.

It's hard to say no to an invitation from a friend, especially if you make it clear that it will "really mean a lot" to you for them to be there. Pray for the Lord's enabling power to help you. He has promised to help us, and He always keeps His word.

1 comment :

  1. Sister Hills and Tescher shared this idea with me and some of the youth from our ward last week. One of the youth said, "Let's try it this week." I wanted to be a good example and a good leader (but was a little afraid of failure), nevertheless I committed to give it a shot.

    A colleague of mine just had a sister die in a tragic accident. I can only imagine the mixture of feelings of grief for his sisters family, the feelings of loss for his sister, perhaps fear of the fragility of life, perhaps hate for the drunk driver that was so irresponsible. In any case, I know that death is just the separation of the Spirit and Body, but how to share with him this message of hope in such a trying time. So I decided to give the "it would mean a lot to me if" method. After sharing some examples of how my family has felt after deaths in the family I told him that there are these young girls who are serving in our area as missionaries. I told him that we were having them over in the next week or so to teach my family about "why we are here on earth" and "what the scriptures say happens after death." At this point he got the wide-eyed, raised eyebrow look that I'm a little used to when I start talking about "religious stuff." Then I said, "It would mean a lot to me if you could come eat with us and hear what the missionaries have to say." His expression relaxed, I could tell that somehow that phrase communicated my love and compassion that I was feeling for this grieving friend ... in a non-awkward way. He quickly responded that he would really love to come.

    It was that simple. I have thought a lot about this method and why it worked. First, it takes the pressure off ... the missionaries are coming to talk to us, not them. Second, it communicates a sincere feeling of love for the person and for the Gospel ... in a way that is not-awkward and appropriate for most situations. I have also realized of the importance to be sincere and have honest intent.

    Way to go elders and sisters in DC South Mission. I look forward to your future posts.

    -- Kenneth C. (Centreville Stake)

    ReplyDelete